Skip to main content

PFO - Tuesday 6/29

Today was a very emotional day...good emotions, for sure, but emotional nonetheless. Today we were introduced, in detail, to the concept of a Third Culture Kid (TCK). This was a very eye opening experience for me (Michael) as I truly realized who I am...I have always celebrated my uniqueness as a missionary's kid (MK) but I don't think I gave my experience enough value. I always compared my experience to that of my sisters...they spent the vast majority of their childhood years in Venezuela; they made friends, grew up as spanish speakers, and definitely experienced the reality of living in and being part of a different culture. I on the other hand was "just" born there. I didn't really make any lasting friendships, I no longer speak spanish, and my connection to the culture of Venezuela is more of a vicarious one through the experience of my family.

The problem is...I never really felt like I belonged when we moved back to the states. So, even though I didn't have the same experience/connection that the rest of my family had, I didn't have ANY connection to my "passport country" either. I have gone through life being a part of many groups, but never feeling like I truly belonged to any of these groups. I have always felt somewhat out of sync.

Today I finally was given some clarity...There was a reason why I turned out the way I was. My experience as a MK/TCK really had an enormous impact on who I am today, probably more so than any other experience. As the presenter (Dr. Dan Egeler) went through the information, I had tears in my eyes because of the great joy of realizing who I am, but not only that, but I understand how God has been preparing me for this  ministry SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN!! I will be able to do what God is calling us to do because of my experience, not in spite of it...Praise God!

So, tomorrow brings with it the end of the month of June...much has happened in the last 29 days. We have said goodbye to our students, colleagues, and friends at the AAE, we have seen our support increase to 30%, we have rented our house, Justin was honored to participate on the All-Star team, we volunteered at VBS, we moved out of the High Desert, we flew to New York, we have met new friends who are going through the same thing, and we have come to a better understanding of who God has created us to be...

As July peeks around the corner, I sit in joyful anticipation of what God will do in the next 31 days leading up to leaving for Vienna. I am interested to see how HE provides the remaining 71% (over $3000), how HE provides us with the opportunity to make deeper, lasting relationships, and how HE  will continue to prepare Rebecca, Justin, and me for service to HIM in Vienna, Austria.

Please continue to pray for all these things for us.

Comments

  1. I am not a TCK or a MK, but my eyes were opened today too! I undoubtedly had a lot of perceptions and presumptions as to what missionary life will be like for my own family. I did not understand until today what a third culture kid was, but started to envision my children in what will soon be their reality. I heard many stories today of the struggles and benefits of being a TCK, but the overall impression I took away was very optimistic for my children. Granted I have occasionally feared that my children might grow up to resent the entire experience they are about to embark upon. I have also feared that someday they may blame me for not looking out for their interests over that of another people group. I pray the Lord will make me sensitive the needs of my family as well as the needs of our mission field.

    The highlight of the day was hearing several real life examples of TCKs who shared their personal testimonies this evening and thought how great it would be to have my children mature in the same manner someday! There is always a risk in decisions we make as parents, but I think the overall theme is that we must have a clear foundation in Christ. Our family has a calling like your family and all the rest here at training with us. We all will no doubt need much strength in the journey ahead - we should be trembling with fear by human logic, but yet we (personally) are experiencing peace like never before in our lives. I have been amazed by what God has accomplished in my own life and that of my wife and kids to bring us to this point in such a short amount of time. I am amazed that God can bring together a group of complete strangers and have them feeling like family and lifelong friends in a matter of a few days. I thank God for bringing your family here and all the others we have met. I appreciate your transparency in your blog and look forward to getting to know you all better in the days and months ahead. On a personal note, I know God has our families serving in different parts of the world, but I hope we can maintain communication and be an encouragement to each other. I am excited to see how God will use us! Dan, Missy, Dalton & Gracen Basnett - soon to be missionaries to Taipei, Taiwan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who are these kids at ICSV...

Hi everyone... The first week and a half of school has been absolutely amazing! We have had some great opportunities to begin building lasting relationships with the students that God has brought to Vienna to be educated at the International Christian School of Vienna. Rebecca has been adjusting well to her role as secondary secretary. She is learning quickly the many demands of her new role and is doing quite well in supporting us teachers and the rest of the staff. Rebecca hard at work I have been really enjoying my classes. I have a total of 43 students spread out over 4 periods. The students I have represent 14 different home nations, with many of the students who are "Austrian" are first generation, so they are of other nationalities as well.  I have also had the opportunity to begin working with the soccer team...again, many nationalities are represented on the field, truly an international squad. Here are some pictures of the team training at the local club

Almost a Year - A reflective poem by Rebecca

It’s been almost a year since we got on the plane. Knowing that we were leaving friends and family; we would never be the same. What has it been like leaving everything we know? Laughter and tears; sun and snow. Up and down; love and fear. All while trusting God for the reason we are here. Relying on support and prayers from the ones you care for, Though scary, freeing, challenging; it means relying on God even more. I’m so thankful to be part of a team who sees that Christ is our need Whether they can see the impact first hand or not, they have blessed students at ICSV. The students and families are so precious, eager to learn and understand What it means to love the Lord with all their hearts and to follow His command. At times I feel so left alone and wondering why God has called me here But then I talk to a student, or go to a school event, that’s when it all becomes clear. God never said life would be easy or even how we think it might be We just need to rely on Him, as He

Clowns and Hospitals

Many of you might remember the 1998 film starring Robin Williams that chronicled the early career of Hunter "Patch" Adams. He began using humor as therapy in his sessions and opened a free hospital in West Virginia. Here is a clip from the film... Fast forward 13 years to a hospital in Vienna, Austria...to a children's surgery ward. As we were sitting talking with some visitors we noticed Justin had more visitors... They proceeded to hand out musical instruments; here's the problem...this was less than 12 hours after Justin's surgery. It really hurt him to laugh at this point...and he still felt horrible After that nonsense, the clowns made 2 more appearances; once when they delivered lunch, and once later in the day when we had our friend Tom Mason visiting. Tom is a fellow missionary serving as a pastor at a local church and a teacher at ICSV. He is also a amateur magician. Pictures of him doing tricks have found their way onto this blog