Skip to main content

a day of reminders

(warning...this is a pretty long and wordy post...it's kinda disjointed...but that's kinda how yesterday went...so please bear with me)
Yesterday was quite a day...a long, 17 hour day, full of reminders of God's Grace and how He has sustained, provided for, and used us during our time in Vienna. So much happened that I feel I have to document it all in a blog post...it really was an overwhelming day.

We've been very busy this week, so I was exhausted when I woke up. To be quite honest I was a bit discouraged as well. The visa office has been delaying their approval on Rebecca and the kids' visas...which really isn't a big deal, except for the fact that it has delayed payment on the kinderbeihilfe that we receive from the Austrian government...this has been a huge blessing in our time here as it has supplemented our salary in a way that has allowed us to remain here. Not having it has made things very tight financially...we've getting by on cash advances for the last couple of months from the school, but it makes this time of year a bit difficult. Basically, yesterday morning I spent the walk to school feeling sorry for myself knowing that I won't be able to do much for the kids during Christmas time and that we won't be able to do any sort of short trips...

Thursdays are chapel days for the high school students...and I spent much of the hour yesterday frustrated for a variety of reasons. The kids were a distraction to others, I was feeling sorry for myself, I was anticipating that so many many of our staff are heading to the states to be with family for Christmas...all dumb stuff, but I was just kinda down...

Of course, it was the last day before our Christmas break so you could really feel the relief in the halls...so as the day went my mood began to lift.

It's a tradition at the school that the Christmas Coffeehaus is a reunion of sorts. Alumni and former students are invited back for a night of Christmas fun and reminiscing. While most Coffeehaus nights are planned with a three week lead, the Student Union really wanted to make this one more memorable, so they started planning at the beginning of November. Many of the kids involved were already working on the decorations in the early afternoon, and the student ministries office started to get filled with decorations.

During fifth period, I got an early visit from a few alumni. And even though I had a ton to do, it was really nice to spend some time joking around with these former students.

For the most part, not much in terms of academics was happening yesterday (except of course for my AP level course - much to their chagrin, I planned that they would take tests yesterday) so there were lots of parties and treats. A couple students were sharing a bag of twizzlers and were kind enough to leave the bag with me...what a gift! (seriously though, twizzlers aren't readily available over here...so getting to have even one of these is very nice)



Finally, the bell rang ending school for 2013...cheering filled the halls and students started making their way out with shouts of "Merry Christmas!" and "Have a great break". As the hallways started to clear, I noticed a group of students (and a couple of teachers) gathering for a picture. So naturally, I stuck my head into the background (I had a twizzler in my mouth, of course!).

The thing is...this picture is a sad reminder of what makes ICSV special/unique. We have to say goodbye to one of our students who is leaving mid year due to his parents being reassigned.

At this point, I had about an hour available with nothing planned...so I decided to clean up my classroom so I could start the year off without too much clutter...but first I needed to pick up some items that a colleague of ours purchased for us at the UN commissary...

As I picked up our bag of goodies (fritos, cheetos, dr. Pepper, and cheddar cheese - again, all pretty standard things that we can't normally get here) I had the pleasure of being greeted by yet another former student who had come back to visit. Fortunately, since I had some time, we were able to talk for a while and catch up on everything that had been going on.

While we were talking I heard another little voice calling me...I looked down the hall to see Kailyn cheerfully yelling "daddy" while Rebecca pushed her in the stroller. No better feeling than hearing her little voice calling to me.

Rebecca helped me clean my classroom until it was time to start supervising the set up for Coffeehaus. The students did an excellent job of decorating the MPR and really set a good mood for a Christmas celebration...students and alumni started arriving, some former Student Union members came early and even pitched in for the finishing touches. It was a great evening with groups of alumni who graduated as many as ten years ago showing up to visit and share memories. It was really cool to see all these students returning to the place that had been such an important part of their teenage years. These two hours were so encouraging. I got to see and talk with a bunch of kids who I really care for...and it was great to see how God is working in their lives.

After cleaning up we found ourselves downstairs in the hall of flags with close to 20 students, mostly Student Union kids, but with a number of non student union members as well. The school was essentially empty and Rebecca and I remained as the only staff in the building. I was just standing there waiting for some of the final cleanup to be finished. Tired...and ready to be home.

Suddenly, one of the kids called me over telling me that another student was having an asthma attack. I went over to him and found him struggling to breath, really disorientated, feverish, and clammy. After a few moments we decided that we should call the ambulance.

A number of the kids there were quite shaken by this. As we waited for the ambulance to arrive a number of the kids were quite emotional as they showed their concern for their friend. One of the students called his mother for me and explained the situation. Rebecca took the kids aside and they spent some time praying for the situation. The ambulance arrived quite quickly (not surprising given the situation - and the system here).

The student's mother was on her way from the other side of the city, so I jumped in the ambulance for the ride to the hospital. He was starting to feel a lot better, and by the time we got to the hospital, he was feeling well enough to walk on his own.

His mom met us in the lobby and was visibly relieved that her son was able to walk on his own. After walking with them to the waiting room, I said goodbye and began to leave. I called our principal, and another colleague/parent who had been following the situation, to give them the update. Then I found out that a number of the students were so concerned that they had jumped on public and were making their way to the hospital.

I decided it would probably best to wait for them and explain the situation so as to not have them overwhelm the student and his mother. They were so relieved to hear that he was doing better. They were actually able to see him and were reassured that he was ok.

I suggested that they should just make their way home, so we headed off to catch the tram before it shut down for the night (by this time is was already almost 11:30).

So...for the couple of you who made it to the end of this post...what's the point of sharing all this?

Well, I realized that the Lord was reminding me of a couple of things...and I feel I should share it.

HE has sustained us through many difficult challenges. Our financial struggles right now our temporary. Despite the fact that we are tight...we will not go hungry, we have a warm home, and we have our family. These things make us wealthy in light of all the people who have none of these assurances.

Our time here in Vienna has had a purpose. God has worked through us to impact the lives of a bunch of students...many of whom are now spread around the globe. I am humbled by this...and so blessed to be a part of it.

This community of students is truly loving and compassionate. The tearful prayers for their friend were super encouraging and a reminder of how God is working through these young people.

As we prepare to leave this place I find myself thinking a lot about these last (almost) 4 years. I am thankful that God has brought us here...and I am blown away by all the ways he has helped us to grow.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who are these kids at ICSV...

Hi everyone... The first week and a half of school has been absolutely amazing! We have had some great opportunities to begin building lasting relationships with the students that God has brought to Vienna to be educated at the International Christian School of Vienna. Rebecca has been adjusting well to her role as secondary secretary. She is learning quickly the many demands of her new role and is doing quite well in supporting us teachers and the rest of the staff. Rebecca hard at work I have been really enjoying my classes. I have a total of 43 students spread out over 4 periods. The students I have represent 14 different home nations, with many of the students who are "Austrian" are first generation, so they are of other nationalities as well.  I have also had the opportunity to begin working with the soccer team...again, many nationalities are represented on the field, truly an international squad. Here are some pictures of the team training at the local club

Almost a Year - A reflective poem by Rebecca

It’s been almost a year since we got on the plane. Knowing that we were leaving friends and family; we would never be the same. What has it been like leaving everything we know? Laughter and tears; sun and snow. Up and down; love and fear. All while trusting God for the reason we are here. Relying on support and prayers from the ones you care for, Though scary, freeing, challenging; it means relying on God even more. I’m so thankful to be part of a team who sees that Christ is our need Whether they can see the impact first hand or not, they have blessed students at ICSV. The students and families are so precious, eager to learn and understand What it means to love the Lord with all their hearts and to follow His command. At times I feel so left alone and wondering why God has called me here But then I talk to a student, or go to a school event, that’s when it all becomes clear. God never said life would be easy or even how we think it might be We just need to rely on Him, as He

Clowns and Hospitals

Many of you might remember the 1998 film starring Robin Williams that chronicled the early career of Hunter "Patch" Adams. He began using humor as therapy in his sessions and opened a free hospital in West Virginia. Here is a clip from the film... Fast forward 13 years to a hospital in Vienna, Austria...to a children's surgery ward. As we were sitting talking with some visitors we noticed Justin had more visitors... They proceeded to hand out musical instruments; here's the problem...this was less than 12 hours after Justin's surgery. It really hurt him to laugh at this point...and he still felt horrible After that nonsense, the clowns made 2 more appearances; once when they delivered lunch, and once later in the day when we had our friend Tom Mason visiting. Tom is a fellow missionary serving as a pastor at a local church and a teacher at ICSV. He is also a amateur magician. Pictures of him doing tricks have found their way onto this blog