Skip to main content

Everything Sucks When You're Gone (notes from my final ICSV chapel)


What follows are the notes from last Thursday when I shared at the final chapel for the Seniors...this was also my last chapel, so it was quite a privilege to be able to share with these kids one final time.

I opened with a video from a band called MxPx of a song called "Everything Sucks When You're Gone...no real reason for it really, I just like MxPx and since sometimes it seems like everything will suck when people we are close to leave, it seemed right...

I want to talk a little bit about goodbyes and leaving...but not just about that...about seeing how the present (or the recent past) has shaped you and your next steps. I realize I will probably jump around a little. stick with me. and don’t laugh at me if I cry.

Saying goodbye is a hard thing. And in the days leading up to a goodbye, it definitely feels like everything will, in fact, suck. And it makes you act crazy sometimes. Nothing makes sense.

You think of all the good times, and you feel sad. You think of all the things you like to do here, and you feel sad. Now, obviously, we know why we feel sad in this situation...and that it hurts....and there's a reason it hurts. Every single one of us has been changed by this place. And if you are honest with yourself, you love it here.

I have loved it here. This is a great place to be. There are very few places in the world (schools especially) that allow the relationships to grow the way they do here.

What I feel I need to tell you is how much you all have meant to me over the last four years…

Its actually really hard to express. So...sorry if I cry. It’s probably gonna happen. It’s ok.

Some of you have babysat Kailyn. Some of you haven’t. But Please understand how much I appreciate your love for her when she is here on campus and you rush to see her and play with her.

Some of you are friends with Justin. As High Schoolers you’ve invited him along and protected him when necessary...teased him when he obviously acted like a middle schooler. Thank you.

Some of you seem to find your way to my classroom way more often than makes sense (especially since I probably don’t even have you in a course). And maybe it’s just because you’re trying to get a cup of coffee, or a handful of chips...but I have always appreciated the visit. Even if I kicked you out.

Student Union...we’ve worked tirelessly together to put on a crazy number of events over the last couple of years. Together we’ve avoided crazy homeless guys, seen God work to keep us from getting kicked off hungarian trains, and cleaned up the mpr too many times to mention. You’ve made my job easier and easier as the year has passed. Thank you.

I hope that all has been done to the Glory of God. Please forgive me if I have ever hurt you with the words I’ve said (or a well thrown water bottle, coin, or marker).

I pray that you all will know how much I want for you to know Christ as your king. How much I want you to be able to see how HE has worked in your life...even though you don’t believe.

I have struggled with the reality of leaving...and it’s mostly because I will legitimately miss you guys. I believe that you are the reason God called me to be at this school for this time. But I also know that it is being here that has prepared the way for our next stage.

I am proud to see you Seniors go...I hope I can say the same thing after senior trip ;). Seriously, despite all your quirks, you have grown into a solid group.

But I am also quite close to you Juniors…I am sad knowing that I will not get to be a part of all the great things you will do next year, I won’t get to see you graduate, I won’t get to see the joy in your face when you get accepted to University...and I won’t be there to encourage you (in my own way, of course) when you get rejected.

Sophomores...Freshmen...you know how I tease you. Sorry if it hurt. In many ways I am sad I never got to have you in class. 

We have talked a lot about David this year. He was a man after God’s heart. He was a horribly sinful man. He made mistakes. He lied. He cheated. He murdered. Being after God’s heart wasn’t easy either...He was betrayed. He was hunted. Foreign armies constantly attacked.

And as a result he wasn’t able to do one thing that he really thought he should do. Build a temple.

But all through it he Loved his God. He repented when necessary and he responded to God’s love by trying to live a righteous life. Being after God’s heart is not about who you are or were...it’s about who God IS.

And then God used his son Solomon to build the temple.

Sometimes, the things we think we should accomplish are not actually meant for us to accomplish. Every year when people leave I hear people say “it just won’t be the same”, or “who’s gonna do this”...and this is true. But that doesn’t mean that it will fully suck. God has sustained this school. He has brought staff and students to this place who have made a huge impact...and if it’s done right, nobody except the people who have been impacted will remember their name. So if I did things right, my name will soon be forgotten at this place. What I pray will not be forgotten is how God has worked.

I want to challenge you to open your eyes. See how God is using your time here for the future. It is not an accident that you are here. If you remember one thing from Marsak leading us through the life of David is that at some point it doesn't matter who you are or what you've done.

What matters is who God is and What He’s done.

That’s Grace.

That’s love.

Goodbye. I love you guys.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who are these kids at ICSV...

Hi everyone... The first week and a half of school has been absolutely amazing! We have had some great opportunities to begin building lasting relationships with the students that God has brought to Vienna to be educated at the International Christian School of Vienna. Rebecca has been adjusting well to her role as secondary secretary. She is learning quickly the many demands of her new role and is doing quite well in supporting us teachers and the rest of the staff. Rebecca hard at work I have been really enjoying my classes. I have a total of 43 students spread out over 4 periods. The students I have represent 14 different home nations, with many of the students who are "Austrian" are first generation, so they are of other nationalities as well.  I have also had the opportunity to begin working with the soccer team...again, many nationalities are represented on the field, truly an international squad. Here are some pictures of the team training at the local club

Almost a Year - A reflective poem by Rebecca

It’s been almost a year since we got on the plane. Knowing that we were leaving friends and family; we would never be the same. What has it been like leaving everything we know? Laughter and tears; sun and snow. Up and down; love and fear. All while trusting God for the reason we are here. Relying on support and prayers from the ones you care for, Though scary, freeing, challenging; it means relying on God even more. I’m so thankful to be part of a team who sees that Christ is our need Whether they can see the impact first hand or not, they have blessed students at ICSV. The students and families are so precious, eager to learn and understand What it means to love the Lord with all their hearts and to follow His command. At times I feel so left alone and wondering why God has called me here But then I talk to a student, or go to a school event, that’s when it all becomes clear. God never said life would be easy or even how we think it might be We just need to rely on Him, as He

Clowns and Hospitals

Many of you might remember the 1998 film starring Robin Williams that chronicled the early career of Hunter "Patch" Adams. He began using humor as therapy in his sessions and opened a free hospital in West Virginia. Here is a clip from the film... Fast forward 13 years to a hospital in Vienna, Austria...to a children's surgery ward. As we were sitting talking with some visitors we noticed Justin had more visitors... They proceeded to hand out musical instruments; here's the problem...this was less than 12 hours after Justin's surgery. It really hurt him to laugh at this point...and he still felt horrible After that nonsense, the clowns made 2 more appearances; once when they delivered lunch, and once later in the day when we had our friend Tom Mason visiting. Tom is a fellow missionary serving as a pastor at a local church and a teacher at ICSV. He is also a amateur magician. Pictures of him doing tricks have found their way onto this blog